Extension of the School day
Big News –
Extension of the School Day
Staff and Governors have recently been exploring ways to maximise the learning opportunities throughout the school day at St Michael’s. This is to benefit all children and get the most out of the time we have with our children. To this end the Governors have agreed to adjust the school day and extend it by 20mins. From September 2016 we will open our doors at 8.45am and will end our day at 3.15. Adapting the day in this way will ensure we have three full lesson slots during the morning including a break time and we will have a slightly longer lunch break. We will maintain our reading / Read Write Inc. sessions but move this to the afternoon. We will then end our day together in worship. A sample timetable can be found on our website. We really think this will be a positive improvement, although not directly linked to us becoming a Primary School – it is a good opportunity to evaluate school life and we believe this is a positive change we can make for the new school year. We have tried to pre-empt questions you may have about this:
- Breakfast club will continue to run from 8.00am and will remain at £2 per day.
- After school club will continue on a Tuesday but will now run 3.15pm – 4.15pm
- JETS will remain a 2 hour slot from 3.15pm – 5.15pm and will continue to be only £3 per hour
- Lunchtime will be 1 hour for Reception and Key Stage 1 and will be 50 mins for Key Stage 2
- Nursery will now operate 2 sessions: 8.45am – 11.45am (including lunch) and 12.15 – 3.15pm. We do of course have a flexible offer which will continue, and some parents are entitled to a free 30 hour Nursery provision which we are very proud to be able to offer – in this instance the children would stay with us all day.
We are confident that this will be a positive move for all of our children – if you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to ask.